Jul 19, 2010

I want to see Quentin Tarantino's Natural Born Killers

I recently watched Natural Born Killers today. There was nothing on cable and the dvd was staring at me on the shelf so I popped it in to watch. Now this movie is one of my favorite films by Oliver Stone and I have always been entertained by the over the top characters Mickey and Mallory Knox. But I have to admit that I have always and still want to see Quentin Tarantino's original vision for this movie.
Cover via Amazon  Some of you may or may not know this but Quentin is the writer of the Natural Born Killers script. Well the original script anyways. Oliver Stone pretty much butchered the original script to cater to his vision. Which was to show that even serial killers can become stars in the eyes of the media obsessed and violence desensitized public. In Quentin's version the movie begins the same as Oliver's. There is a small diner. Fingers are cut, Heads are smashed on tables, Knives are thrown through plate glass and bullets are shot. One survivor is left standing and the famous words "When you tell people what went on here, tell 'em Mickey and Mallory Knox did it." Now in the Quentin's script this is where things get interesting because we do not follow them on a road trip until they are caught at the end of the movie. In Quentin's version they are caught after the dinner scene and they are retelling some of their crimes while in prison. How do I know all this? Well I have been reading the original script. I must say that the original version from what I have read so far is way more interesting and I will have to say more entertaining then what actually ended up being the final product. I am not a director or a screen writer, I am however a lover of films and I would more than love to see this version actually produced. The only problem is I don't know anyone who could play Mickey and Mallory as brillantly as Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis. I also don't think anyone could bring this vision to the screen none other than the original screenwriter himself. This is how the film ended up getting ass raped in the first place. Now the script is a little wordy meaning that some characters have quite of bit of dialogue but that is to expected from Quentin. It doesn't bother me because it's good dialogue. There is nothing worst than a lot of dialogue that is absolute CRAP!! It's insulting. If you are interested in reading the original script for yourself just click the title of this post. It is an interesting read. I am sure you will agree with me when I say this movie would have been even more kick ass if they had just went with the original script.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment