Oct 5, 2010

My first album review! Mark Ronson And The Business Intl: Record Collection

Release Date: Sep 28, 2010

So I know on this blog I mostly write about my favorite pastime which is gaming. But if you took the time to read my blog description you would know that I also write about television shows, movies and MUSIC! I am a avid music listener that happens to enjoy music that spans musical genres. I even listen to music in languages I do not understand because I am one of those people that truly believes that music is universal. As long as I can feel it I will listen to it. So with that being said I am going to review Mark Ronson And The Business Intl: Record Collection.

After much success with his poppy Motown sound on his own album "Version" as well as the even bigger hits that were made with producing Amy Winehouse's Back To Black and Lily Allen's Smile, Ronson could have easily kept churning out more of the same. The public would have kept eating it by the spoonful that was until they got tired of it of course. But lucky for us he didn't do that and decided to give us something new and turned a corner into unknown territory.  This album is a massive leap of faith but it works. There are a lot of old and new faces coming along for the ride on this journey that is "Record Collection". Ronson clearly has been spending some time studying the 80's and old school hip hop. You can hear the 80's decade influence throughout the album with synthesizer rigs and cameos from artists like Boy George and Simon LeBon.
But along with these familiar voices he introduces us to new ones such as Kyle Falconer, MNDR, Andrew Wyatt, and Spankrock. Some of which I took the time to google to find out more about them which to me is great to have an album introduce you to some interesting voices you may never have heard before. Now the album is not without it's flaws. The selections "The Colour of Crumar" and "Selector" to me sound like punched up elevator music. But with that being my only complaint this is still a solid album with a lot of surprises that will maintain heavy rotation at my house. "Record Collection" is an album that contains some familiar uses of production but manages to make them sound new and fresh which makes these songs extremely catchy. This is a worthy purchase indeed.

 

Standout tracks:

Bang Bang Bang Featuring Q-Tip, MNDR
Record Collection Featuring Simon Le Bon, Mark Ronson
Someone to Love Me Featuring Rose Elinor Dougall, Andrew Wyatt
Glass Moutain Trust Featuring D'angelo
Circuit Breaker
  

This album gets a 4 out of 5 Canaries




 

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment